Tuesday 27 October 2009

The Beatles (Therefore, I cannot think of a title)

Finally, I have got my proper Beatles CDs.

Despite being a fan of the Beatles ever since I was a kid, strangely, I have never got a proper Beatles CD before.

I got to really know them from the collection in the public library. There I discovered a new boundary of the Beatles. Their music is much more than the familliar tunes like "Yesterday", "Let it be" or "Twist and Shout".

With limited resources in my shallow wallet and a wide world of new and new 'old' music to explore, I have never got much urge to own their records. After all, I have heard most of their songs and was familiar with the tunes.

As a shrewd purchasing expert of cheap CDs, sadly (or perhaps happily), I found that their records have never been offered discounted prices, and their prices seem slightly higher than others. I must admit I own a few improper or p****** copies of their records, the red album, "Abbey Road" and "(Rubber Soul)".

So far my favourite Beatles album is "Rubber Soul". I like every song on the album. Recently, I happened to spot a remastered copy of "(Rubber Soul)" in the public library. With great pleasure and a little bit of greed, I load it to my I-Pod. Listening to it, it feels a bit weird, like seeing again an old friend who has already changed. I knew that the remastered CD had added a few songs to it. Though the bonus tracks are good, to me they hardly offer me any bonus. Soon I found that the problem was that some songs on the original record was missing. Despite getting the songs for free, I felt cheated and was rather enraged. I simply could not stand any changes to a record I have been so fond of and quite so familiar with for a long time. How could it do without the first song "Drive My Car"? How could the order of songs be re-arranged? Torn apart and reconstructed, it is not really "Rubber Soul' at all. Perhaps it is only “Bubble Soul”. Fragmented post-modernism is not for me.

So I've bought "Rubber Soul" and "Revolver". "Revolver" is often regarded as the best of the Beatles. Unbelievably, perhaps it's the first time I listen to it, though I am familiar with some of the songs. I have roughly listened to it 2 or 3 times now. It sounds good and newer than "Rubber Soul", which sounds very sixties (in the good way), but it has not yet replaced the status of "Rubber Soul" in my realm of the Beatles. In fact, there are 1 or 2 songs I don't quite like.

Yet I was slightly ashamed about buying the 2009 remastered CDs of the Beatles, after what the WMG had shamefully done to videos with WMG artist's music on YouTube (and so YouTube is not MyTube anymore). Perhaps naively, I told myself I would try not to buy any proper CDs from them. But the seduction of the Beatles in new paper covers is hard to resist. And I had wanted their records for ridiculously far too long.

And when could I have my Beatles haircut, hairdresser?

No comments: