Saturday 26 July 2008

happily hopeless wanderer came across Favourite Sons

Now and then when I wandered on the Net, I would gladly find musicians of some long lost bands still around and making music. And last week I was too happy to learn that Ken Griffin, ex-Rollerskate Skinny and ex-Kid Silver, had formed a new band called Favourite Sons. I like both old bands of his. The former made original and interesting soundscapes, with good melodies, and the latter made captivating mellow songs, with good melodies.

The route to this Internet encounter was a bit convoluted. Wandering on some MySpace Music pages as I sometimes did, I accidentally checked out a little known new French band called Mondrian that made interesting music with catchy tunes. If there is any justice, they should become more famous.
MONDRIAN "Can't Call Her My Own"


On Mondrian’s MySpace page, it was shown that they had covered a song by the Band of Holy Joy. The Band of Holy Joy! I have long forgotten this band. I heard them on the radio years ago. And this is one of those bands that I thought I like but always failed to get their records. Then after a while I just forgot to seek them. On YouTube, I found that they have reformed and performed live in 2007. In the gigs, they played alternative folk music. The instrumentation was good but the singing was not impressive. Actually, I don’t even remember what their music was like in the old days. But it should be better than those songs in the videos I found on YouTube.

In the process, the band Rollerskate Skinny came to my mind (though I got the band name wrong at first) and I found one and only one video of theirs on YouTube (but sadly none of Kid Silver’s).
The one and only MV of the one and only Rollerskate Skinny - "Speed to My Side".

Behold the young Ken Griffin.


I knew little about Rollerskate Skinny. And shamefully, I must admit that I only got to really know their music when I got their CDs at low prices on sale. Naturally I looked them up at Wiki’s and so I, finally, learnt that Ken Griffin had formed a new band called Favourite Sons.

Their songs sound like that of Kid Silver. But, alas, Mr. Griffin looks so much older now. The few new songs I heard were good, but they gave me an impression that of a weary middle-aged bloke rather obsessed with women (perhaps it’s rather the false impressions from the videos). And naively I wondered why he would leave Ireland for America for all these years (and turned into a rather ordinary looking middle-aged bloke). (((Always slightly sad to see people grow old.)))
FAVOURITE SONS "Tear the Room Apart". A good song.


So this was my occasional hopeless wandering behaviour in the Web.

And it ended up happily sometimes.

No comments: